Monday, February 6, 2012

Stuffing Rush Chairs

Over the years we have discovered very interesting things people use to stuff rush chairs. Rags, newspaper, raffia, folded up paper and even cotton. Ed even found a silver dime wrapped up inside some paper. We have seen seats stuffed on top, bottom or sometimes nothing at all. We recommend stuffing because it helps maintain the form of the seat for a longer period of time. In our workshop we keep a huge supply of heavy cardboard cut into various triangular shapes so it would be easier to stuff the seat with them on hand. We also recommend stuffing both the top and bottom. Some of the newspapers have interesting articles dating back to the '60's. The prices of things have sure gone up! Sometimes we will find someones name and address on cardboard. Hum...that would be good to do. Good luck with stuffing your chairs - if you need more help or suggestions with your rush chair click here

1 comment:

  1. I use cedar shakes with cardboard top and bottom. I write my name address and date on the shake along with what seating material was used before what I used. I also put the name of the person that I did the job for and how much they were charged. I also drill a hole the size of a penny in the shake and put a penny in the hole of the year I did the seat. I put the shakes in with the big ends to the middle. I gives a crown to the center of the chair. I started doing the shakes after I found an old chair that was done in this fashion. I use shakes on the sides and back of the seat too. I find it a more rigid seat that is firm and comfortable.

    ReplyDelete