Wednesday, January 16, 2013

How to Replace a Pressed in Cane Seat

 Here is a link to our latest video on Pressed in Cane Seats.  

More tips about removing hard to handle spline:
  • Use vinegar in the groove to soften the spline
  • Drill small holes into the spline to break it up
  • A good spline chisel and razor knife.
Use a water soluble type glue - Hide Glue or Elmer's...using anything else will make it very difficult for the next person removing the spline - and that person could be you!

1 comment:

  1. Well said! I hate replacing a seat that someone used space age glue in. I use a straight chisel to clean the sides being very careful not to deform the original channel. It seems like it takes twice as long to clean out the channel. I have used wicker as a spline for pressed cane seats in some of the chairs I've done. I haven't had any returned so I have to believe that it works well. Have you done this in the past? If so have you had any reason not to us it as spline again?

    ReplyDelete